The Iron Nokana is a large, multi-purpose armored combat vehicle created by the Rebel Army. Its firepower is concentrated on the front, with a cannon and missile launcher turret on the top and a hidden flamethrower on its bottom. To compensate for the lack of firepower in the rear, a Girida-O is mounted on its back.
In supplementary material for the first game, the Iron Nokana is piloted by Chun Yutetsu (チュン・ユウテツ), Marco's combat school instructor . He is not mentioned in Metal Slug SV-001 despite the game revealing the pilots' names for the first four boss vehicles.
The Iron Nokana's main weapon is the cannon on the front, which fires a series of arching projectiles that must be timed correctly to be avoided. Once the Iron Nokana has flames all over and its tires flatten, it lifts itself and exposes a flamethrower turret at the bottom which tries to burn the players if they come near it.
After the turret is destroyed, a few POWs come out of it, and the boss starts to fire a series of missiles at the players which must be avoided by crouching under them. If the players go to its rear, the Girida-O sitting on its back will start shooting at them.
The Iron Nokana returns in Metal Slug X replacing the Keesi II as the first mission's boss. Despite the new coloration, it functions the same as before. Abul Abbas appears in the background commanding the tank.
In Metal Slug Infinity, the Iron Nokana appears as a World Boss and as a Slug. Both have the same attacks as their arcade counterparts, however the World Boss variant is able to carpet bomb the entire field. The Slug variant is immune to electric shock and stun.
|Iron Nokana Mk I: Found in Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001. This is the original version. In Metal Slug Defense and Metal Slug Attack, the Girida-O on its back has been removed. In Metal Slug Infinity, the Girida-O is placed back, albeit as a cosmetic.|
|Iron Nokana Mk II: Appears in Metal Slug X. It has the same attacks, but has significantly sturdier armor than the original version.|
|The Iron: The Amadeus Syndicate's upgrade on the Iron Nokana. A fake Morden operates the tank.|
|Iron II: An improved variant, is slower but more resistant than its original counterpart. The Morden Robot driving it wears a blue uniform.|
|Iron Nokameow: A special version featured in Metal Slug Defense. It carries a "Cat Base" on its back and Morden is riding it. It was part of the Battle Cats promotional event.|
|Prototype Iron: Found in Metal Slug Attack. Just like its name says, it's the prototype version of The Iron with its design based on the Rebel Army's Iron Nokana. It uses a bigger unmanned flamethrower from the bottom, making its range longer, and the missile pod is now placed on its back.|
|Prototype Iron II: Improved version of the original Prototype Iron, it is painted purple and the Morden Robot riding it wears a blue uniform.|
|Spacey Nokana: A customized Iron Nokana built specifically for Abigail, one of the Rebel Army's commanders, with the name and coloration based on someone she admires. Compared to the original Iron Nokana and its MK II variant, the Spacey Nokana has longer range. Since it was designed for Abigail, the ball turret fires out a large, piercing laser beam rather than the standard flamethrower. Found in Metal Slug Attack.|
|Sister Nokana: A customized Iron Nokana built specifically for Beatriz, Abigail's sister. Unlike the other Rebel variants, it launches missiles rather than firing from its cannon. As it is designed for Beatriz, the ball turret fires out powerful frost beam. Appears in Metal Slug Attack.|
|Golden Nokana: A customized Iron Nokana built specifically for Allen O'Neil. Painted gold, the ball turret has been modified to ignite the surrounding area with flames. Appears in Metal Slug Attack.|
|Spiral Nokana: A customized, Ptolemaic Iron Nokana built specifically for Towa. Painted black, the ball turret is replaced with two drills that can burrow under the ground and reappear on the ground surface. Appears in Metal Slug Attack.|
|Regular Iron Nokana: A blue Iron Nokana owned by the Regular Army. Immune to knockback and electric shock. Appears in Metal Slug Infinity.|
|Another Iron Nokana: A purple Iron Nokana owned by the Another Force. Immune to being stunned and frozen. Appears in Metal Slug Infinity.|
|Abul Nokana: A customized Iron Nokana made under Abul's orders. The ball turret has been modified to shoot out deadly currents of electricity. Appears in Metal Slug Attack.|
|Prototype Iron III: A customized variant of the Prototype Iron by the Amadeus Syndicate. Operated by Valerian Bear Viola, the tank is filled with poisonous gas which it uses to incapacitate enemies.|
- The Iron Nokana is based on the Sd.Kfz. 232 German 8 wheeled armored car, part of the Schwerer Panzerspähwagen ("heavy armoured reconnaissance vehicle") series of armoured cars used by Germany during the Second World War.
- In the early development stages of Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001, the Iron Nokana was missing some spikes on its front plate, while also having it painted red instead of grey as in the final game.
- Upon exposing the ball turret, the Iron Nokana gains around five in-game seconds of invulnerability. Its HP can be lowered during this time, but the Iron Nokana will gain a sliver of health anytime its HP reaches 0. This tidbit does not return in Metal Slug X, which explains why the Mk II can be destroyed faster than the original even with better armor.
- Oddly, the Mk II variant in Metal Slug Defense and Attack also has less HP than the original variant despite its description stated that it was an uparmoured variant.
- Because the Iron Nokana's turret is a special attack instead of a second phase in Metal Slug Defense and Metal Slug Attack, its tires magically tear apart and repair itself each time the tank is lifted and lowered. Variants starting from the Golden Nokana have the tires edited to be always intact.
- Neo Geo Freak: Issue 7/1996, pg 52. http://6th-divisions-den.com/archives/ms_sv001/Neo%20Geo%20Freak%2007.1996/Scans/NGF%2007.1996%20Page%2052-53.jpg
- Metal Slug Official Guidebook (1997), pg. 82. http://6th-divisions-den.com/archives/ms_sv001/Metal%20Slug%20Official%20Guidebook/Scans/MSG%2012.1997%20Page%2082-83.jpeg
- Soldier Rebel. "Study on Metal Slug 1 Expansion (Reboot)". YouTube.